The episode 1 player is above. Here, you can listen to or download episode 2.
In this episode we talk about most common causes of insomnia and how to identify which of them may be contributing to insomnia in your case. There may be one, or more than one contributing cause of insomnia in your case. As such it may take work to correct each of them before you relieve yourself of insomnia.
A strategy that works to correct insomnia for person may not help the next person at all because those two people may have different causes of their symptoms. When we address the appropriate causes of symptoms for each individual then we see fantastically effective results. By assessing individual body chemistry we can find out what’s off in each case and go straight after fixing what’s actually wrong with each person instead of trying to treat all cases of similar symptoms with cookie cutter solutions. This is especially true in insomnia where there are so many possible contributory causes.
In the second episode we talk more about specifics of what to do to help correct each of the primary potential causes of insomnia. To learn how to look at your chemistry to see which causes may be present in your case listen to part one of this series or take the Digestion Course at www.kickitinthenuts.com/courses
In this episode you’ll learn:
- There are many different potential causes of insomnia.
- Low blood pressure(as in the Electrolyte Deficiency Imbalance), low blood sugar, overly powerful insulin, the Sympathetic Imbalance and the Catabolic Imbalance are common body chemistry imbalances that can create symptoms of insomnia.
- Low blood pressure (BP under 112/73) can indicate presence of the Electrolyte Deficiency Imbalance.
- High Urine pH (urine pH over 6.5) may give indication of overly powerful insulin and blood sugar instability.
- A high pulse differential (greater than 45) and slow breath rate (slower than 14 breaths per minute) are indication of a possible Sympathetic / Fight or Flight Imbalance.
- There are different self tests that you can perform on yourself to determine which body chemistry imbalances may be contributing to your symptoms.
- You can learn how to perform these self tests using our Digestive Issues Course at the Kick it in the Nuts website.
- There are different diet and supplement strategies that can help you correct different body chemistry imbalances.
- There are a few primary body chemistry imbalances that can independently or concurrently cause insomnia.
- Those primary body chemistry imbalances that tend to be responsible for insomnia were detailed in part one of our two part series on insomnia.
- In this episode we identify the following imbalances and commonly contributing causes of insomnia: The Electrolyte Deficient Imbalance, Catabolic Imbalance, the Anabolic Imbalance, The Slow Oxidizer Imbalance, The Fast Oxidizer Imbalance, The Sympathetic Imbalance and The Alkaline Imbalance.
- We suggested some tips that may help correct each of these imbalances.
- To help correct the Electrolyte Deficient Imbalance focus on correcting digestion, adding salt to your food or trace mineral drops to you water. If you’re Electrolyte Deficient and Catabolic also try adding glutamine to a glass of milk before bed.
- To help correct the Catabolic Imbalance try having eggs with runny yolks for dinner. Also be sure to include lots of collagen or gelatin rich foods in your diet, such as Natural Selection Nutritional’s Complete Protein and bone broth soups. If you are Catabolic with high blood pressure, consider supplementing with vitamin E. If you are Catabolic with low blood pressure, consider supplementing with L glutamine before bed.
- To help correct the Anabolic Imbalance try drinking carbonated water with a pinch of salt before bed.
- To help correct the Fast Oxidizer Imbalance work on correcting any existing digestive issues, eating higher purine proteins (e.g. red meats, organ meats), avoid high glycemic carbs and consider supplementing with choline to help slow your breath rate to an appropriate rate.
- To help correct the Sympathetic Imbalance try meditating, drinking carbonated water and try to avoid low blood sugar episodes by eating frequently and including fruit and fructose in your diet regularly.
- To help correct the Alkaline Imbalance avoid alkaline water, polyunsaturated fatty acids and estrogen inducing foods like soy, whey and fish. Try drinking carbonated water and following the lessons the other dietary tips mentioned in Lesson 6 of the Personal Nutrition Customization Course at www.naturalselectionnutritionals.com
Check out this video of Tony talking about the causes of insomnia
Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Will’s Blog Post that details how to detect if you are in a Fight or Flight / Sympathetic Imbalance.
- Natural Selection Nutritional’s Complete Protein (Collagen Protein)
- Digestive Issues Course
- Will’s Blog Post on Meditation
- Lesson 6 of Natural Selection Nutritional’s Personal Nutrition Customization Course
- Soda Stream (home water carbonator)
- Vitamin E (Ultra Sterols)
- Concentrace Trace Mineral Drops
Download Our Free Digestion Assessment Guide
Sign up to receive our free Digestion Checklist that could help you improve your digestive issues.