Mental illness can be a real and serious medical condition. Sometimes medications to help control symptoms are very much in order and can be life saving. While that is true, there is often a lot we can do to naturally support mental health through diet and supplementation. Sometimes nutrition can even be enough to completely alleviate mental illness symptoms. Listen in as Tony, Will and Kinna dive deep into the body chemistry imbalances that can commonly contribute to bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses. In this episode we highlight the work of Dr. George Watson and his discoveries connecting the dots between mental health, metabolism, bio-individuality and nutrition.
In this Episode You’ll Learn
- About the work of Dr. George Watson and his discoveries related to metabolic rate and mental health.
- Dr. Watson found that there are a few distinct metabolic types that are profoundly affected in specific, unique ways.
- Within these different metabolic types (slow oxidizers, fast oxidizers and sub oxidizers) mental and emotional health can be deranged.
- Dr. Watson discovered that certain nutrients that relieved symptoms of mental/emotional illness in the slow oxidizers actually increased symptoms in the fast oxidizers. Likewise, specific nutrients found to benefit the fast oxidizers would exacerbate symptoms in the slow oxidizers.
- Dr. Watson developed a nutritional supplementation and diet program to balance out each metabolic type and did so with remarkably impressive results.
- Oftentimes even patients in the midst of full on schizophrenic episodes could be brought back to a normal mental state within minutes through appropriate nutritional supplementation suited to their metabolic type.
- Other body chemistry imbalances can contribute to mental illness, especially the Electrolyte Deficiency Imbalance, the Catabolic Imbalance, the Anabolic Imbalance, the Sympathetic Imbalance and the Alkaline Imbalance.
- Digestive issues and inappropriate food choices can also directly and indirectly contribute to mental illness.
- How to evaluate your digestive function and assess your body chemistry to detect imbalances that may be present and contributing to bipolar disorder and other mental/emotional illnesses.
- What steps to take to start working on correcting your digestion and balancing your body chemistry to restore health and balance to your body and your mind.
- About tools and professional support resources you can tap into to help you work on balancing your body chemistry to restore health and balance.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Dr. George Watson’s book Nutrition and Your Mind
- Our Digestive Issues Course
- The Coalition for Health Education
Download Our Free Digestion Assessment Guide
Sign up to receive our free Digestion Checklist that could help you improve your digestive issues.